Report a violation

Home Latest News Monthly Reports   Print

MADA: 80 violations were all committed by the occupation forces during the first month of this year, most notably the killing of 14 journalists in the Gaza Strip

Ramallah – January 6th, 2024.  The occupation authorities and forces were the only ones responsible for all crimes committed against media freedoms in Palestine during the first month of the current year 2024. MADA Center monitored and documented a total of 80 violations during the previous month of January, compared to a total of 105 violations documented during the month of December.

For the third month in a row, MADA Center did not document or monitor any violations committed by Palestinian parties, neither in the West Bank nor in the Gaza Strip.

There was no change in the state of public and media freedoms during the past month, as the Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip continued for the third month in a row and at almost the same pace, even after the measures adopted by the International Court of Justice in its session held on January 26, during which it ordered Israel to take measures to prevent genocide in the Gaza Strip, as a large majority of members of the court’s 17-judge panel voted in favor of taking urgent measures that meet most of what South Africa requested, except for directing an order to stop the war on Gaza.

Despite this, Israel did not commit to implementing these decisions, even partially, which was reflected in the continuation of crimes committed against citizens and journalists alike, resulting in the martyrdom of 13 journalists.

The Israeli government also issued a memorandum of law allowing the Shin Bet to spy on journalists and monitor them through devices and programs similar to the Pegasus system, which is a flagrant violation of freedom of the press, information, and privacy.

Israeli Violations:

During the month of January, the Israeli occupation committed a total of 80 violations against media freedoms and media crews in Palestine, representing 100% of the violations, distributed among 61 attacks committed in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, and 19 crimes carried out in the Gaza Strip. Israeli violations decreased by a total of 24 compared to last December 2023, as MADA Center monitored a total of 104 Israeli violations, and this decrease in the number of violations comes by 37%.

This decline cannot be viewed in a positive way in any manner, given that 14 journalists were targeted with death at the hands of the Israeli occupation forces, accounting for 74% of the violations committed in the Gaza Strip.

The most difficult and heinous crimes were the occupation forces’ killing of ten journalists, accounting for 18% of all violations committed, whether during their field coverage (as happened with journalists MUSTAFA THURAYA and HAMZA WAEL AL-DAHDOUH) or by targeting their homes with air strikes with their families, which led to the martyrdom of them and members of their families in most cases. The bombing also targeted the homes of a male and female journalist, and they were completely destroyed.


Targeting to prevent coverage occupied the largest proportion of all attacks committed during the past month, with a total of 35 attacks that included groups of journalists while covering events in the cities of Jenin and Tulkarm, during which the occupation forces deliberately fired live bullets at journalists and media crews to disperse them and prevent them from covering. The occupation forces also prevented nine journalists from media coverage in different areas of the West Bank, where it detained two media crews in the Gaza Strip and another in the city of Hebron and prevented them from covering, in addition to two other journalists and threatening one of them, Al Jazeera correspondent, “that something bad will happen to her” if she was doing the coverage again. The detention comes as part of a systematic policy to prevent journalists from completing their mission in covering what the citizens are exposed to violations. The occupation soldiers also confiscated the equipment of four journalists, smashed the Jordanian TV correspondent's car, hit the Al Jazeera correspondent's car with a metal bullet, and raided a printing press and a journalist's home in the city of Hebron.

Physical attacks also targeted five journalists, three of them in the Gaza Strip and two in the West Bank, while the occupation forces arrested WAFA Agency’s correspondent from his home in the city of Tulkarm and released him hours later.

Martyrs of the Media Movement during the Month of January



Journalist Name

Date of Martyrdom




January 4TH, 2024




January 7TH, 2024




January 7TH, 2024




January 8th, 2024




January 8th, 2024

Ministry of Interior Media Office



January 9th, 2024



Mahammad Thalathini

January 11th 2024




January 14th, 2024

AL-GHAD TV Channel



January 18th, 2024




January 21st, 2024



Eyad El Rawagh

January 1st 2024

Al -Aqsa channel



January 28th, 2024



Mohammad Atallah

January 29th 2024

Al Resala Website


ِAhmad Bdair January 10th 2024 Bawabat El Hadaf




Details of Violations:

January 3rd. The occupation forces targeted press crews with direct live bullets while they were covering the incursion of the “Nour Shams” camp in the city of Tulkarm at around 1:00 pm on Wednesday in response to an armed clash taking place in the place, which led to the injury of journalist HAFEZ SABRA with bruises in his foot during fleeing from the place.           

According to the investigations of MADA field researcher, an armed clash took place in the “Nour Shams” camp in the city of Tulkarm on Wednesday afternoon, and while the press crews were covering the incursion operation, which continued for two consecutive days, an armed clash occurred in the camp and the occupation army was exposed to gunfire, then the army opened fire on the press crews, some of whom were broadcasting live, therefore it was documented. The bullets were fired automatically, as the bullets passed by the journalists as they were fleeing the place, which led to the injury of “Roya” channel correspondent, HAFEZ ABU SABRA, who suffered bruises in his foot after he and journalist MOIN SHADID fell to the ground.

The journalists remained on the ground for more than ten minutes due to continuous shooting towards them.


January 4th. On Thursday dawn, the Israeli occupation forces arrested photojournalist WAFA AWWAD from his home in the city of Tulkarm after searching the house, confiscating his press equipment, and beating him. He was detained for several hours in the “Irtah” center before being released.

According to the investigations of MADA field researcher, an occupation army force (at least 16 soldiers from the Yassam unit and the border guards) raided the home of photojournalist WAFA MOHAMMED AWWAD (46 years old), who works for the Palestinian News Agency “Wafa” in Tulkarm, at around two o’clock in the morning after demolishing the door of the house and breaking into it by force and arrested him.

The journalist was surprised by the soldiers inside the rooms of the house. They searched the entire house, stole the press shield and the mask, and after verifying his identity, they prevented him from wearing his clothes, then they handcuffed and blindfolded him.

They stayed in the house for about 15 minutes, after they confiscated his and his wife’s phones, and then took him to the military jeeps. Since he left the house, the occupation soldiers began beating and kicking him which continued inside the military jeep, and then they transferred him to another military jeep and continued to beat him and unleashed their k9 dogs on him.

The journalist was transferred to the “Irtah” center. There, the iron handcuffs were removed and replaced with plastic ones. He was placed in the outer square and remained in that square until the evening hours. At that time, he was presented to the intelligence officer, who told him, “You are forbidden to photograph because you are photographing the army and photographing the faces of the soldiers, and this is forbidden.”.

The photographer was prevented from recovering his press shield, after the officer threw him to the ground, and he was released from the checkpoint after a 14-hour detention, while he suffered pain in his back and hands from handcuffs.

January 4th. The occupation forces targeted a group of journalists by firing bullets at them to prevent them from covering the incursion of the village of “Sir” in the city of Jenin and besieging a house there on Thursday. The bullets hit a number of houses near which the journalists were present.

According to the investigations of MADA’s field researcher, a group of journalists arrived in the village of “Sir” in Jenin Governorate around three o’clock in the afternoon on Thursday, and they are (freelance journalist SHATHA HANAYSHA (31 years old), ISSAM AL-RIMAWI, photographer of Anatolia, ANAS HOUSHIEH, correspondent of Odeh Channel, freelance journalist MOHAMMED ABED, journalist ALI SHTAYYEH, MAJDI SHTAYYEH, AMR MANASRA, MOHAMMED MANSOUR, Wafa Agency photographer), and when they arrived at the place, there were no clashes, but rather the occupation forces were present at the place in a plain area. The journalists took a place for themselves on a high hill, in an area exposed to the soldiers and across from them. However, the soldiers fired the first shot at the journalists, as the journalists lay down on the ground to take cover, and whenever they tried to get up to move to another place, bullets were fired at them, and there was only a wall less than half a meter high.

During the withdrawal of the occupation forces from the village to the outskirts of the town, when the sounds of gunfire were heard resulting from clashes, the journalists were directed to approach the place of those clashes, to monitor what was happening in the area, and they were targeted by gunfire (more than 15 bullets) from one of the snipers. The bullets hit many houses, forcing journalists to flee the place as shooting continued in their direction.

At approximately 10:30, the Palestine TV crew, consisting of reporter AHMED MOHAMMED NAZZAL (44 years old), accompanied by photographer TARIQ ABU ZEID, were present at the eastern entrance to the village, at a distance of no less than 200-300 meters from the occupation soldiers.

After an hour of the crew's presence, two armored vehicles approached the crew, and through a megaphone they were directly asked to raise their hands. A number of soldiers got off and went to the crew and shouted at them in Hebrew. The soldier immediately lowered the camera lens to the ground, placed the live broadcast device on the ground, and raised the weapon in the their faces, then the reporter NAZZAL was sending a live message with the microphone in his hand and he continued covering, and then the soldier confiscated the microphone and put it on the ground and started shouting at him and preventing him from approaching the microphone. Another soldier remained next to the crew and did not leave them, while one of the soldiers continued to make sure that the camera was off and there was no filming. He unplugged all wires and cables from the camera, to make sure that the camera was not working, and they remained in this position for about 40 minutes. Also, the journalist HISHAM ABU SHAKRA, a photographer for the Turkish Anatolia Agency, whose camera’s memory card was confiscated, while he was accompanying Palestine TV crew after the occupation soldiers prevented him from covering, as they stood in front of him and brandished their weapons at him.

After the occupation forces withdrew from the town, Palestine TV correspondent AHMED NAZZAL (44 years old) and photographer TARIQ ABU ZEID went to one of the houses in the village and were on the roof of the house to photograph what was happening on the outskirts of the village from the western side, and at that time they were exposed to direct live bullets. The soldiers fired showers of bullets (more than 5 bullets) towards the house and the journalists on its roof. The bullets hit the walls, while one bullet penetrated the windows of the house.

Less than an hour later, journalists ABU SHAKRA and NAZZAL went to the roof of a house to cover what was happening, but the soldiers targeted them with live bullets that hit the wall near where they were standing, and they miraculously escaped an injury that could have been fatal.

While freelance journalist MOHAMMED ATEEQ (31 years old), Reuters photographer RANEEN SAWAFTA, and Al-Alam channel correspondent RAYA AROUQ were present in one of the streets of the village overlooking the occupation soldiers in the plain area in the vicinity of the village, where they were also targeted by bullets and at least one bullet hit one of the houses near them, forcing them to leave the place and enter a house in the village.

January 4th. The Israeli occupation forces targeted press crews with live bullets during their incursion of the “Nour Shams” camp in the city of Tulkarm, causing some of them to suffer bruises as they fled for cover, such as “Roya” channel correspondent HAFEZ ABU SABRA, who suffered a bruise in his foot.

According to the testimony of Al Jazeera correspondent LAITH JAAR (27 years old) to MADA researcher, at around one o’clock in the afternoon on Thursday, the journalists were directly targeted by bullets being fired at them more than once while they were on the “Aktaba” hill opposite the “Nour Shams” camp to prevent them from covering the occupation forces raid of the camp, as they lie down on the ground to avoid injury.

Among the journalists who were known were (KHALED BADIR and SHADI JARARAA from Al-Ghad TV, THARWAT SHAQRA and her photojournalist from Al-Hurra TV, AMID SHEHADEH and RABIE AL-MUNIR from Al-Arabi TV, reporter LAITH JAAR and photographer TARIQ YOUSSEF from Al-Jazeera, HAMDI HAMDAN and the Palestine TV crew, and journalist MOIN SHADID).

January 4th. Safa Agency journalist AKRAM AL-SHAFI’I was martyred, more than two months after he was injured in an Israeli bombing in Gaza City.

January 4th. Photojournalists ABBOUD HAMDOUNA and IYAD AL-NAJJAR were injured as a result of being targeted by live bullets while they were photographing the destruction in the Birkat Abu Rashid area in Jabalia Camp. They were transferred to Al-Awda Hospital to receive treatment.

January 5th. The occupation forces stormed a printing press in the city of Halhul, north of Hebron, and confiscated its equipment at dawn on Friday.

According to the testimony of the printing press owner, GHASSAN KARAJA, to MADA researcher, the Israeli occupation forces, reinforced with military vehicles and a truck equipped with a crane, stormed the city of Halhul, north of the city of Hebron, at 1:30 am on Friday. The forces were stationed in the "Nabi Yunus" neighborhood, east of the city, and raided the printing press after opening the doors using special tools, and the soldiers began a search and confiscation of the printing press's contents.

The confiscation operation included a laser machine, 3 computers, two printers, a gelatin cutting machine, a gelatin machine, manual excavators, and a machine used in installing banners, while the soldiers brought the citizen GHASSAN KARAJA after contacting him and handed him a report of the confiscated equipment. The financial losses of the printing press are estimated at approximately 60 thousand shekels.

January 6th. The occupation police detained two media crews on Saturday morning while they were in the Gaza Strip for coverage, filmed them and interrogated them on the ground. They were released after three hours of detention.

According to a statement by Al-Jazeera correspondent NAJWAN SAMRI to MADA researcher, a group of journalists, namely: (Al-Jazeera correspondent NAJWAN SAMRI and her colleague, photographer WAEL AL-SALAYMEH, Arab TV correspondent CHRISTINE RINAWI, and photographer HABIB DEMIRJI) headed on Saturday morning to the Gaza Strip, specifically to an area overlooking the neighborhood of Al-Shujaiya, where journalists and media crews have been present in the same place continuously to cover for several weeks.

At approximately 10:00 in the morning, a military force arrived at the place. At first, the journalists thought it was a routine visit and that they were a group of soldiers who came almost daily to take a look at the place. However, they asked the journalists to check their identities and press cards, and when the journalists asked about the reason for all of this, the answer was, “you'll find out later.”.

After the cards were checked, the crew of Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabi TV were detained and interrogated on the ground for three hours, where they were asked many questions about the reason for their presence in the place and the nature of their journalistic work. The police officers also told them that “Al-Mattal” had been announced as a closed military zone and they are prohibited from being there.

During the detention period, police officers photographed the detained journalists, and asked them to vacate the car, threatening to transfer them for investigation, even though they had not started filming yet. One of the soldiers tried to ask the special forces not to release the detained journalists, claiming that they did not reach the place by the main road but rather through bypass roads, which the journalists denied.

At approximately 01:00 pm in the afternoon, that is, after three hours of field detention, the journalists were released after providing their information to the special forces’ soldiers, and they were released with the possibility of being summoned for investigation in the future.

January 7th. Journalists MUSTAFA THURAYA and HAMZA WAEL AL DAHDOUH, son of Al Jazeera’s correspondent, were martyred in Khan Yunis by an Israeli bombing of a car that was transporting them in the Mirage area in Rafah, south of the Gaza Strip.

January 8th. Journalist ABDULLAH EYAD BRAIS and a number of his family members were martyred after their home in Khan Yunis camp was bombed. Also, the photojournalist in the media office of the Ministry of Interior, MUHAMMAD ABU DAYER “ABU MISBAH” was martyred.

January 9th. Journalist HEBA AL-ABADLA and her daughter were martyred in the occupation bombing that targeted her home in Khan Yunis.

January 13th. The occupation soldiers surrounded a group of journalists in the vicinity of the Al-Far'a camp, south of Tubas, on Saturday morning, preventing them from covering the events and preventing them from leaving the area. They also targeted the car of Al-Jazeera journalist LAITH JAAR with gunfire, which led to being hit by a single bullet in the windshield during the incursion of the camp which lasted for more than 10 hours.

According to the investigations of MADA field researcher, the occupation forces stormed the “Al-Far’a” camp around eight o’clock in the morning on Saturday, and while the press crews were covering the incursion, including (freelance journalist YAZAN HAMAYEL, freelance photographer WAHAJ BANI MUFLEH, and “Quds News Network” correspondent ABDULLAH BAHASH Journalist MUJAHID TABANJA and journalist SHADIA BANI SHAMSA, Palestine TV correspondent, journalist AMIR HILMI SHAHEEN, Al-Hayat Al-Jadeeda newspaper photographer ISSAM AL-RIMAWI, Al-Jazeera correspondent LAITH JAAR, Turkish Anatolia Agency photographer HISHAM ABU SHAKRA, in addition to a Turkish photographer and reporter). The occupation soldiers surrounded them in their position on the hill opposite to the camp next to the mosque for about 3 hours, prevented them from reaching their vehicles, and threatened to shoot them directly, as they were forced to evacuate the area under the threat.

During the direct targeting of those present with live bullets, the vehicle of Al Jazeera channel correspondent, journalist LAITH JAAR, was hit by a bullet in the windshield, as it was in the “Wadi Al-Fara’a” area, where the occupation vehicles were gathered. When the journalist headed to his vehicle with his colleague “BAHASH,” a military jeep tried to run them over, forcing them to flee and take cover in one of the alleys near the mosque, while the soldiers shouted at them and cursed them for turning back, and fired bullets randomly at them.

January 13th. Warplanes completely destroyed the home of journalist MAHMOUD AL-LOUH, in addition to destroying a number of his family’s homes and a number of homes in the Al-Dawa neighborhood, north of Al-Nuseirat, in the central Gaza Strip.

January 14th. On Saturday morning, the occupation forces directly targeted a number of journalists and media crews with stun grenades in the city of Jenin, which led to their withdrawal and prevented them from covering the incursion of the city.

According to the investigations of MADA’s field researcher, a group of journalists were present at around nine o’clock on Saturday morning to cover the occupation forces’ incursion of the city of Jenin and its camp. Among them were identified (Quds Network correspondent, journalist MOHAMMED ABED, (28 years old), journalist ALI AL-SAMOUDI, (55 years old), who works for the Jerusalem newspaper, freelance journalist MOHAMMED ATEEQ, (31 years old), Palestine Post correspondent MASHAEL ABU AL-RUB, (24 years old), freelance journalist HAMZA AL-ZYOUD, (23 years old), freelance journalist MOHAMMED ZAKARNEH, (36 years old)).

The journalists were all present covering the incursion of the city of Jenin, where the occupation bulldozers began destroying the infrastructure on Haifa Street near the Haifa gas station. While journalists were covering the events, they were directly targeted with stun grenades several times, which led them to retreat and withdraw from the place.

January 14th. Al-Ghad TV cameraman YAZAN AL-ZWAIDI was martyred in the occupation’s bombing of the northern Gaza Strip.

January 14th. The occupation forces destroyed by missile bombardment the home of journalist DOAA AL-BAZ in the Nuseirat neighborhood, where she and her family reside. The occupation warplanes targeted the entire neighborhood, leading to its complete destruction.

January 15th. A "Wafa" agency photographer was injured by fragments of a stun grenade in his right leg while covering the occupation forces' incursion of the city of Dura in Hebron on Monday afternoon. He was transferred to Dura Governmental Hospital to receive the necessary treatment.

According to the investigations of MADA field researcher, at around 2:00 pm on Monday, the occupation forces stormed the city of Dura, south of Hebron Governorate. The soldiers deployed in the center of the city in the commercial market and fired several gas bombs randomly, while the young men threw stones at the soldiers, who responded by firing live bullets resulted in the injury of a number of citizens.

At approximately 3:20 pm, the occupation soldiers arrived in the “Wadi Al-Hammam” area in the center of the city, and were stationed in front of the Al-Arab Residential Complex. During that time, the Palestinian News Agency “Wafa” photographer, MASHHOUR HUSSEIN AL-WAHWAH (44 years old), was standing 200 meters away from where the soldiers were, covering the events. One of the soldiers fired bullets and stun grenades at the journalist, who was present near the citizens and wearing a full journalist uniform, which resulted in him being injured by fragments of a stun grenade below the right knee.

The photographer was transported by a Palestinian Red Crescent ambulance to Dura Governmental Hospital, where x-rays were taken, and appropriate treatment was given to him. The Israeli force left the place after injuring ten civilians and killing two male and female.

Following the injury of photographer AL-WAHWAH, a settler website on the Telegram network published a clip in Hebrew in which it said: “The Wafa Agency photographer was eliminated.”.

January 17th. The occupation forces detained Al Jazeera Mubasher correspondent Fayhaa Khanfar and confiscated her phone while covering the storming of Tulkarm camp on Wednesday morning at the entrance to the camp and threatened her that something bad would happen to her if they saw her covering again.

According to the investigations of MADA field researcher, JOURNALIST FAYHAA KHANFAR was present at the main entrance to the “Tulkarm” camp with a group of journalists to cover the Israeli military reinforcements to the camp to storm it, and they were covering the events from their place because the occupation forces prevented press and medical crews from entering the camp.

At approximately 4:30 pm, a number of soldiers headed towards the journalists and began pulling out their cameras and attacking them. The journalists began to withdraw, along with the journalist “KHANFAR.” One of the soldiers did not ask her to return, and at the same time another soldier approached her and began shouting at her. He asked her to walk with them, and at gunpoint she walked with them dozens of meters to the inner entrance of the camp, and when her steps were slower, he pushed her with the rifle on her back, and when she reached the place they wanted, two soldiers attacked her and took the phone from her, and two others were surrounding her and they asked her to raise her hands up while they shouted at her hysterically.

After that, an officer came and asked her who she worked with, and when she told him that she worked for “Al Jazeera Mubasher”, he brutally shouted at her and insulted Al Jazeera, and asked her for a second mobile phone. She told him that she only had one mobile phone and that the soldiers confiscated it.

The journalist remained crucified against the wall, and there were three soldiers shouting at her, and one of them shouted at her and kicked her with his foot so that she puts her feet to the back and raise her hands at the same time.

The detention continued for about half an hour, until one of the soldiers asked her to leave the camp. He kept walking with her until she reached the main street. He asked her to get into any car to go away. She walked with him and asked him for her phone, but to no avail. He told her that she must leave and that he should not see her face near the camp or else something bad would happen to her.

January 18th. The journalist and director of Al-Quds Al-Youm satellite channel, WA’EL FANNOUNEH, was martyred as a result of being targeted in downtown Gaza.

January 19th. The occupation forces raided the home of freelance journalist IHAB AL-ALAMI in the town of “Beit Ummar” in the city of Hebron and searched it at dawn on Friday.

According to the testimony of freelance journalist IHAB ISSA AL-ALAMI to MADA researcher, the Israeli occupation forces raided his house in the “Asida” area, east of the town of “Beit Ummar” in Hebron, at around 3:30 am, on Friday, when the soldiers began knocking very violently on the door of the house while screaming. When the door opened, three soldiers rushed inside, two of them pointed weapons in the face of the journalist, AL-ALAMI, while the third lit flashlights in his face and asked him to step back and ask those inside the rooms to get out. The journalist, his wife, and his little daughter went to the hall in the middle of the house, and while one of the soldiers asked for his personal identification and began the security check, a number of other soldiers rushed into the room and began a search process, and after about 15 minutes, the soldiers withdrew from the house without confiscating anything.

January 21st. Journalist KARAM ABU AJEREIM was martyred in a bombing carried out by the occupation army on Abasan al-Kabira, east of Khan Yunis.

January 22nd. Journalist IMAD GHABBOUN was moderately injured as a result of the occupation forces targeting a group of journalists and civilians in the Tal al-Zaatar area in Jabalia camp.

January 22nd. Occupation soldiers detained a Palestine TV crew in the Old City of Hebron, preventing them from covering a march organized by settlers in the town, and closing shops there on Monday morning.

According to the investigations of MADA’s field researcher, the “Palestine” TV satellite crew, consisting of (JIHAD AL-QAWASMEH, director of the Hebron office, TV cameraman ALAA NADER AL-HADDAD, (35 years old), and satellite journalist WU’OOD AL-MASIMI, TV correspondent), went to about 10:00 am, Monday to the Old City of Hebron to cover the occupation forces’ closure of shops in the town, in addition to covering the settlers’ march.

The crew stopped near the old municipality building, and after about ten minutes, one of the soldiers at one of the observation points above the aforementioned building began to move and make calls. Within moments, five soldiers coming from the center of the market attacked the press crew, and one of them was shouting, “shut the camera, stop filming.”.

Journalist AL-HADDAD spoke to the soldiers and told them that he was a journalist, but the soldiers did not care and asked him to stop filming and accompany them to an area close to the old municipality building, 20 meters away from the place. They asked him to stop near the wall and asked him why he was in the area. The journalist replied that he was filming for Palestine TV, while one of the soldiers approached the reporter, WU’OOD AL-MASIMI, and asked her to accompany him to the location of journalist AL-HADDAD. The soldiers asked the journalist to stop and face the wall. Journalist AL-HADDAD objected to this method, and after talking with one of the soldiers, he understood what was going on and asked him to sit down, and then he took Journalist AL-HADDAD's identity was subjected to security checks, and after about 20 minutes, the two journalists were asked to leave, after informing them that it was forbidden to be in the place for filming. The two journalists moved away from the place and began filming again, while the soldier followed them and told them that if you do not leave, you would be arrested, which forced them to leave.

January 28th. The martyrdom of freelance journalist ISSAM AL-LULU, his wife and two of his children as a result of the occupation’s bombing of their home in Gaza City, and the martyrdom of journalist MOHAMMED ATALLAH in the occupation’s bombing of Al-Shati camp west of Gaza City.

January 30th. An Israeli officer obstructed the work of Jordanian TV correspondent RAJAI AL-KHATIB on Tuesday morning by firing tear gas canisters at him to prevent him from continuing on his way, and also attacked his car by smashing it.

According to a statement by Jordanian TV correspondent RAJAI AL-KHATIB to MADA researcher, the journalist headed to the city of Jenin on Tuesday morning, and at about ten o’clock when he arrived near the town of Qabatiya, southwest of the city of Jenin, an Israeli military force intercepted his way and asked him to stop, without there being any military checkpoints.

The journalist showed his Israeli and international press cards, and was driving a car marked with the Press badge on it, but the officer continued to ask questions about his destination and prevented him from continuing on his way, under the pretext that the military zone was closed.                 

Verbal arguments took place in Hebrew between the journalist and the officer, as he speaks Hebrew fluently, and the conversation turned to accusing him of belonging to the Hamas movement. RAJAI denied this and said that he was only doing his job. The officer came back and said, “you are a terrorist,” and he replied, “we are not saboteurs break into hospitals and kill patients in their beds.”.

These words alarmed the officer, and he raised his weapon and began hitting the car's windows and breaking them. While RAJAI was trying to escape from the place, the soldiers fired a stun grenade at him, which exploded near the car, causing external damage that did not reach the press equipment or cameras, and did not cause him any physical damage.